Friday, July 17, 2009

Summertime in the South or What I had for lunch

Posted by Picasa
I'm having lunch a little late today but it's ok because dinner will be late, too. Not that you care. But I just had to share this pretty homegrown tomato stuffed with chicken salad. How long has it been since you had a stuffed tomato for lunch? I remember my mother ordering it at the Sears cafeteria when I was a kid. But those were usually stuffed with tuna salad. Later, I had them at the cafeteria at the Kresge store. Kresge went on to become Kmart and I think they had them, too. There are no more Kresge's and very few Kmarts and most of those don't have cafeterias or grills anymore. I know there are diners that offer them somewhere, but they are scattered around. So I made my own. My husband grew the tomato, by the way. I can't take credit for that. It's so perfectly cool, refreshing and filling all at the same time. Served with the requisite iced tea, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment